Our garden is producing an overabundance of okra right now, and we don’t have much time for canning, freezing, and otherwise preserving it at the moment, so we’ve been trying to use as much of it as we can. Fresh okra is a super-food! It not only facilitates digestion and regulates blood sugar, it’s also a significant source vitamins C, K, calcium, and a host of other vitamins and minerals.
A week or so ago, we wanted to come up with a quick, easy dinner with what we had on hand. It was the week before our meat co-op order comes in, so pickings were pretty slim! We had several pounds of Italian sausage that I thought we could use with it somehow. I started browsing online to get ideas and eventually, this is what my hubby and I ended up throwing together. It was a big hit with everyone in our family, youngest to oldest!
- 2 lbs Italian sausage (ours is made from pastured chicken, but use what you have available)
- 6 cups chopped fresh okra (I’m guessing frozen would work just fine too)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans organic, diced tomatoes
- 8 cloves of garlic, diced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp bacon fat
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
The directions are simple:
1. Brown the sausage in a skillet and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a pot (I used my cast iron dutch oven), saute the onion and garlic in bacon fat until translucent.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and cook until the mixture starts to brown, this should only take a few minutes.
4. Next, add the chicken broth, tomatoes, okra, sausage, and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer until the okra is tender (about 10 minutes).
We served this over Super Simple & Flavorful Brown Rice, and I’d say it made 12-15 servings.
Linked with Mostly Homemade Mondays, Natural Living Monday, Better Mom Monday, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Titus 2 Tuesdays, Teach Me Tuesdays, Simple Living Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Simple Lives Thursday, Simple Meals Friday.