Here’s what I’ve come up with.
Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter (preferably fed in the last 12 hours)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup plus more whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour, or kamut flour (I used a mixture)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 rounded tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (I use Real Salt)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups pumpkin (or one can)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts ((follow these directions for soaking the nuts to maximize their nutritional value and digestibility)
- butter or coconut oil for greasing muffin pans
In a mixing bowl, stir together the sourdough starter and milk. Add the oats and stir until all is wet. To this mixture, begin by adding one cup of flour. Continue adding flour until you have a very thick, sticky dough. Cover and set aside to sour for 8 or more hours.
Now that I have the proportions down pretty well, I’d like to experiment with the spices a little bit: maybe add nutmeg, cloves, and ginger with the cinnamon. I’ll update the recipe if I do. Typing all this out has made me crave these, so I’m off to mix up another batch for tomorrow morning!