Holiday traditions are important to our family. We’ve been very intentional about trying to create special traditions to help us as a family see these as days to really focus on God’s blessings in our lives. Any resource that assists that effort is welcome.
I recently had the opportunity to review Putting God Back in the Holidays: Celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Birthdays, and 12 Other Special Occasions with Purpose, a new book by Dr. Bill Thrasher and his wife, Penny. I have several books on developing family traditions and fun activities for the major holidays but I found this one to be unique. It covers not only the major holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, but also birthdays and less-celebrated days such as President’s Day, Labor Day, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, and even Arbor Day.
I really enjoyed the husband/wife team format. Dr. Thrasher begins each chapter with Biblical application and theological insight. Sometimes these sections are almost devotional in nature…I found them personally edifying just for the perspective they gave me on some of the days. This is followed by “Penny’s Thoughts”, which is just that: her thoughts on the holiday and why and how she has prepared and celebrated with her family. Last is a “Practical Helps” section that lists specific ideas and activities for celebrating.
This book is already making a wonderful addition to my “holiday books” library this season and I’m pleased to be able to share it with several of my readers also! Moody Publishing has generously provided FOUR COPIES of this wonderful resource for me to bless my readers with!
There are several ways you can enter for a chance to receive a copy:
- Leave me a comment telling me why you’d like to have a copy of Putting God Back in the Holidays.
- Subscribe to Home With Purpose with Google Friend Connect (in my sidebar), Feedburner, Networked Blogs, or by email, or let me know if you’re a current subscriber.
- “Like” the Home With Purpose Facebook Page.
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Post on Facebook or tweet about this giveaway and link back to it here.
- Mention and link to the giveaway on your blog and post the link in the comments.
- Display my button on your blog’s sidebar.
- Vote for me on Picket Fence Blogs .
Linked with Works for Me Wednesday.