This week, on his vacation, my husband, with assistance from Karate Kid, completed a project we’ve had on our “list” for quite awhile. He ripped out the tired, worn Berber carpet in our hallway and stained and sealed the concrete.
|My new, easy to maintain hall floor|
Our hallway is THE major traffic zone in our house…we come in and out from the garage, through the laundry room and down the hall to the kitchen every day. It also tees off to the kids’ bedrooms, hall bath, and living room. Needless to say, the entire hallway, especially the section between the laundry room and kitchen, has seen some heavy wear in the eight and a half years since we built this house! I’m glad we chose the Berber, it held up well to the wear and tear of multiple children and dogs, but by now it had definitely seen better days in certain spots.
We’d eventually like to put in wood floors, but that’s a couple of years down the road. In the meantime, that hall carpet needed to GO! After our youngest dog found a small snag and ripped a huge run in one section we decided not to wait around any longer. Repairing the carpet would’ve been a pain and we knew we wanted to get it changed now. We considered the idea of doing tile and even found some that was an almost perfect match for our existing tile, but decided that would be a huge job. With all the doorways and corners it would be impossible to make the tiles perfectly match up with the existing tile at every doorway and opening. Not nearly as straightforward as laying tile in an open area like a living room. So, we decided we would just stain and seal the concrete. It’s fairly inexpensive, and when we redo the living room floors we can easily cover it up so that the hallway will match too.
Silly me, I forgot to take a picture before he ripped out the carpet…these pictures start right after that. We’d forgotten how careless the contractors were about getting paint and texture on the concrete so getting it clean was quite a job. The etcher/cleaner we’d bought didn’t put much of a dent in all that.
|Yikes! That’s a lot of paint!|
|Karate Kid worked hard to help clean it off.|
Once it was finally clean, it was a fairly simple process to spray on the stain. The hard part was keeping everyone away from it while it dried!
|The stain had to dry overnight|
Once the stain had dried overnight, hubby applied the sealer to it with a paint roller. Again, keeping everyone away from it was a challenge, even with baby gates and other blockades.
|The sealer also had to dry overnight!|
|Laying a transition piece in the bathroom doorway|
|Caulking by the kitchen entrance|
|The finished floor, looking from the kitchen toward the girls’ room and bathroom|
|Looking from the living room toward the kitchen and boys’ room|
|Looking from the kitchen toward the laundry room and boys’ room|
Linked with Works for Me Wednesday.